Sunday, November 6, 2011

Post#6 - Posts, Beams and Drywall

Good morning everyone,

Wow, we're into November already.  Our project is really moving along nicely. This past week we were able to remove the remaining drywall in the dining room and in the hallway. Our recessed lights are all connected and functional. The next picture shows the kitchen and dining room so far.

Project - Week#5
I also worked on the posts and beams last week. It was a challenge to cut them because of their size. I do not have a saw that can cut through 6" of wood. The next pictures show the posts and beams in place. They look fantastic. We plan on staining them the same colour as our cabinets.
Posts and Beams

On Wednesday Alex spend the day at home helping me because it was Take Your Kid to Work day. We installed 6 sheets of drywall on the East and South walls. I think this was a good experience for him. He told me that now he knows he doesn't want to put up drywall for a living. I'd have to agree with him, it wouldn't be my first choice either. Alex and his friend Ryan also helped out on Saturday and the drywall is now completed.

Our new window is also installed.  It is a little bit bigger than the old one because Louise couldn't see outside when she did the dishes. She will now be able to watch the kids splash in the pool at the same time as she does the dishes.

Louise will be taking care of putting the putty and painting the drywall. We haven't chosen a colour for our walls yet. Well that is all the news for this blog.

Yesterday I spent the afternoon working in the hallway. I installed a recessed light and moved the access to the attic. The old one was too small and I figure this would be a good time to make it bigger. The next pictures shows some of the work I did in the hallway yesterday. This week I plan on putting some knotty pine on the walls in the the hallway.
Hallway
Even though things progressed nicely this week we still have a lot of work to do. The guys at Cutter's Edge are coming in on November 30th an December 1st to put in the cabinets. Last week we ordered our clearstone and our floor tiles. I'm hoping to get the clearstone installed by the end of this week. We plan on putting our floor on our own and figure we will be spending at least a week doing this. See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment